Memory Cafes in South Gloucestershire
What is a Memory Café?
Memory Cafés offer a friendly welcome for anyone affected by dementia, or worried about their own or someone else’s memory. They provide practical information and support, as well as the opportunity for people to ask questions and to share with experiences. They also provide an informal and social environment in which to enjoy activities, listen to guest speakers and make new friends. Give them a try, you can pop in anytime and will be made very welcome.
All Memory Cafés on this page are FREE to attend.
The Retreat Memory Café in Soundwell
When: The second and fourth Monday of every month.
Where: St Stephens Church, 34 Church Road, Bristol BS16 4RH
The Retreat Memory Café is open to anyone with dementia, and their carers. There are fun activities, crafts, singing and invited speakers. It's a great opportunity to meet, socialise and relax in a caring environment. Free tea, coffee and homemade cakes.
We Need Volunteers!
We have a great team of volunteers that run the cafe, but more helping hands are always welcome! If you would like to help out too, please get in touch. Full training will be provided.
Current volunteering roles:
For more information on volunteer roles, please email email@example.com or call us on 01454 868570
Alternatively, download the Volunteer Application Form
Where to find us
Patchway Memory Café
Southern Brooks helped set up the café which is now part of "Precious time Consortium" , which is a collective of groups and activities for older people in Patchway.
Come along to the Memory Café to meet others, share experiences, hear from experts and join in on trips and activities. It is free and everybody is welcome.
When: First and third Monday of the month - 10.30am to 12.30pm
Where: At St Chad's Church Hall, Rodway Road, Patchway BS34 5ED.
Contact: Carol Eddon on 0117 979 3732 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Where to find us
Memory Cafes in South Gloucestershire
Please note, the cafes may be offering alternative services at this time. Please use the contact details provided to find out more about individual cafes.
Circadian Trust Dementia Social Groups
- Yate Lifestyle Activity centre, Kennedy Way, Yate BS37 4DQ. Meets 10:00 am—12 noon weekly every Monday during school term time.
- Kingswood Lifestyle Activity centre, Church road BS16 4RH. Meets 1:00 pm—2:30 pm weekly Tuesdays during school term time
- Thornbury Lifestyle Activity centre, Alveston Hill, BS35 3JB. Meets 12:00—2:00 pm weekly Thursdays during school term time
- For further information contact Mike Jones on Tel: 01454 279955 ext 5060 or Email: email@example.com
Thornbury Memory Café
Methodist Church Hall, Castle Court, off High St, Thornbury, Bristol BS35 2AQ
- Meets 10.15am - 11.45am on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month.
For information contact Sue Rowley on: 01454 412941 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oasis Memory Café
Chipping Sodbury Baptist Church Hall, High Street, Chipping Sodbury, BS37 6AH
- Meets 10.30am - 12.00 noon on the first and third Tuesday of every month.
For information call 01454 313 023 or email: email@example.com
Charfield Memory Group
The Sportsman’s Lounge at Charfield Memorial Hall, Wotton Rd, Charfield, Wotton-under-Edge GL12 8TG
- Meets 10.00am - 1.00pm on the third Wednesday of every month.
For further information contact Amanda on 07814 692 195 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Haven Memory Café
United Reformed Church, Chapel Street, Thornbury, BS35 2BA
- Meets 10.15 - 11.45am on the first and third Friday of every month
For information Contact: Barbara Goom on 01454 414 826 or Robin Pencavel on 01454 632 064
The Batch Memory Café
The Batch Community Centre, 8a Park Road, Warmley, BS30 8EB
- Meets 1pm - 3pm on the first Wednesday of every month.
- A £1:00 contribution to help with light refreshments.
Contact Louise Golding on 0117 9610155 or email: email@example.com
Alzheimer's Society Memory Cafés
Hanham Community Centre, 118-124 High Street, Hanham, BS15 3EJ
- Meets 6.30pm-8.30pm on the Fourth Tuesday of every month.
Winterbourne Greenfield Centre, Park Avenue, Winterbourne, BS36 1NJ
- Meets 2pm - 4pm on the first Monday of every month
Yate Library, West Walk, Yate, BS37 4AX
- Meets 2.30pm - 4.30pm on the last Thursday of every month.
Filton Library, Shield Retail Park, Link Road, Filton, BS36 1NJ
- Meets 10am - 12noon on the Fourth Thursday of every month.
Emersons Green Library, Emersons Way, BS16 7AP
- Meets 2.30pm - 4.30pm on the Second Thursday of every month.
For more information on Alzheimer’s Society run Memory Cafés, contact your local Alzheimer's Society on 0117 9610693 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Southmead Hospital Memory Café
All carers, visitors, patients and staff welcome.
- Every Wednesday 2-4pm
- Level 5, Gate 28, Brunel Building
Contact: Jet O’Neill, Dementia Care Matron on: 0117 4149062 or email: jet.o’email@example.com
Lasting Memories Film
In 2014, our local secondary school, Patchway Community School, took part in a project named "Lasting Memories", in conjunction with Patchway Memory Cafe.
Six students were chosen to meet people living with dementia at Patchway Memory Cafe, and to make an educational film about dementia. Their meetings centered around the young people asking the people with dementia about their early lives, doing some research about the things they learnt, and presenting it back to them.
The film follows the learning of the young people, and the positive interactions there are between the young people and the people living with dementia.
The Memory Cafe users all said they really enjoyed spending time with the young people, and the students equally enjoyed their time with the Cafe members, and learnt a great deal about dementia.